Friday, August 27, 2010

I Have Become the Very Person I Hate.

Have you ever walked into a Starbucks / Coffee Bean / Anywhere that tries to be hip and cool with free wifi, and saw people with their laptops open, trying to look like they have important shit to do?

I'm sorry, but if you're THAT important, you wouldn't have time to be sitting at Coffee Bean taking up space.

I've always thought that "these people" were simply trying to be cool...and failing miserably. "Look at me! I'm sitting in a trendy cafe that has cool wallpaper, African music, people wearing beanies as baristas, and today's specials written on a chalkboard! I'm AWESOME!"

No.
No, you're not.

You're a massive tool and you should do your work in the privacy of your office and/or home. And how does that conversation go, exactly?

"Honey, I have a report I need to get out to the shareholders today. It's really important. I'm going to Coffee Bean! I'll be back in 5 hours."

"F you, honey. No."


Clearly, I have rage towards "these people." I don't know where it originated from. Maybe I was given a condescending look by a "novelist" working on his next great masterpiece. Maybe a student had books sprawled about a six person table, and looked at Facebook for an hour. Maybe I have classmates that enjoy meeting at coffee spots, and find it enjoyable trying to cram ALL THEIR BOOKS AND LAPTOPS ON A TABLE MADE FOR TWO.
Maybe.

It's hard to be sure.

Now, with all of that being said and off my chest... I feel as though I should let you know that I type this blog post from Coffee Bean.

gasp!
WHAT!
HYPOCRITE!
POSER!
LOSER!
HOW COULD YOU?!!?!?!?


That is the conversation I had with myself in the car, while looking in the rearview mirror, before coming in here. I still can't believe it.

As I walked in, books on my shoulder, I avoided all eye contact, as if the person sitting at the table of 6 BY HIMSELF knew that I internally had rage towards him my entire life, and was still silently judging him WHEN I WAS NOW ONE OF "HIM."

Anyway, here I sit, at a table for 4, by myself, typing this entry.

Why, you ask?
I blame ADD.

You see, I have a grotesque amount of homework due on Sunday. My law professor evidently thinks it's HYSTERICAL to give us "BRIEFS" that are 50 pages long. Suck it, woman.

Additionally, today I had a half day at work. Usually, I would already be drinking by myself at home, waiting for Kelsey to arrive... but with the amount of work I have to do... I need to be remotely responsible.

My initial thought was to go home, sit down, and do my work in the confines of my home (WHERE WORK SHOULD BE DONE).
Then, I started to think of all the fun stuff in our apartment... the TV, the wall, the potential dance parties I could have... and I realized that absolutely NO work would get done today if I went home.

So, that left me with two options.
Don't do my homework and fail my classes, OR go to a place with free public wifi.
I cringe at the thought that I chose the latter.

So here I sit, looking around, judging the people I have become.

Getting my MBA has turned me into a hypocrite and a HUGE poser.
F this game.

1 comment:

  1. So... I just read this and I know it's a little late but just wanted to add a little input from a person that works from home on her laptop 80% of the time. Sometimes I go to a coffee shop to work, and if we had coffee bean in Oregon I think you know that 'sometimes' would probably become 'most of the time', simply to put myself in a different setting and break up the monotony of working at home alone. Sometimes, as I think you discovered this day, there needs to be noise and people (or at least a different setting) to create that perfect working zone that I can't always get into in the comfort of my own home. So if you ever see me at a coffee shop with my lap top please don't judge. I am not doing it to be a poser. I truly am trying to get my important work done. :) But I will keep a beanie in my laptop bag just incase I ever do see you walk through the door.

    Now go have a white mocha dream for me please!
    Love,
    Laura "Romper" Winterrowd

    ReplyDelete